Saturday, August 10, 2013

Searching Free Patterns

Hello

For the past 2 days I've been looking at all the Ravelry free patterns. Ravelry.com is a place for knitters/crocheters to gather. It's free to register. I haven't used all the features Ravelry has yet. So I place just about 75 patterns into my "library". Now this doesn't mean I'm going to knit them all, but I can give most of them a try. I did not define the search by level (beginner, intermediate etc...), I did not want to limit myself. I found that by trying to do a pattern I like it is easier to become more experience than if I stuck to my beginner level. If I get stuck on something I look it up on youtube.com.  Youtube has pretty much a full learning center of videos.

So out of these new patterns I started a small purse.  It's meant to become felted but I don't think that the yarn I'm using is able to be felted. But that won't stop me. I'm going to try out the pattern anyway. I tend not to stick strictly to the yarn or needle size when the size doesn't matter. I haven't done any patterns that gauge would be necessary. So I take the yarn color I would like the project to be and depending how "holy" I want it, I use a different size needle. The bigger/thicker the needle the more of a gap we will get between the stitches. If we are making a stuffed toy for instance it is best to use smaller/thinner size needles so that the stuffing doesn't show through. Or sometimes thicker yarn gives us closer spacing. The more we knit the more we will understand what needles and yarn to use. 

Thanks for reading
Ruthie

PS. If you are Ravelry.com (or just registared) please add me to your friends user name: RuthieTyler
:)

No comments: