Saturday, August 03, 2013

The Beginnings of Knitting

Hello! 

So this is my first blog. I'm excited to get blogging. I must say that I am definitely not a writer. In fact I have been so long in the world of raising kids and homemaking that I feel like I have spaghetti for brains. 

When I was in highschool my mother taught me the basic knit stitch. I knit for a short while but I was not ready for the focus that knitting requires. I did however have a great and memorable introduction to the wonderful craft.

In March 2013 I began knitting again. My mother-in-law gave me a skein of white size 7 needles and th "Teach Me to Knit" book by Leisure Arts.  The book explains pretty well how to do the knit stitch and the purl stitch and how with those the world of knitting would open up. The first pieces were to practice knit, purl and stockinette. They were simple squares. Also to practice cast on and bind off, the book has a pattern for a flower. 

Soon after I went to Michael's craft store and bought a bunch of cool yarn! I LOVE Michael's. 
I also got a few more needle sizes and a book on knitting dinosaurs called "Knitted Dinosaurs" by Tina Barrett. I began a blanket and a scarf. the blanket I did in sections so that I could practice different patterns of the knit/purl combo. It also allowed me to do a skein at a time (very bulky yarn).  I finished the scarf in a day, it's a long thin scarf I made for my 4 year old for the winter.

I really enjoyed making the dinosaurs, so much so that I purchased a book called "A Monster Nursery" by Rebecca Danger. Awesome book! I'm still knitting from it today ( not that its been many months since I started).  I also purchased the book she published before called "The Big Book of Knitted Monsters". 

More to come, thanks for reading.

Ruthie

Here are the links where you can purchase the books at amazon.com

Big Book of Knitted Monsters by Rebecca Danger

Knit a Monster Nursery by Rebecca Danger

Knitted Dinosaurs by Tina Barett

Teach Me to Knit by Leisure Arts

No comments: